Wednesday, May 14, 2008

"Shanaydo Connor"

Liz called me a little while ago, we were reminiscing about the good ol' days. Somehow the conversation went to Sinead O'Connor and her cover of the song, "Nothing Compares to You". Without skipping a beat, we ensued in an impromptu duet over the phone, my windows are open so I can imagine my poor neighbors were horrified, or worried someone was dying a horrible, painful death. We started off with, "It's been seven years and hmmm hmmm days; hmmm hmmm hmmm hmm hmmm hmmm hmmm"… (we hummed our way to the chorus)… "CAUSE, NOTHING COMPARES; NOTHING COMPARES TO YOUUUU". I later googled the lyrics & video and realized the song starts with, "It's been seven hours and fifteen days", lol. As I read the lyrics, I remembered I was seven when she released that song and I thought her name was Shanaydo Connor.

Here's the video:


Here are lyrics so you don't have to humm the entire song, like Liz and I did:

NOTHING COMPARES TO YOU
(Prince)

It's been seven hours and fifteen days
Since u took your love away
I go out every night and sleep all day
Since u took your love away
Since u been gone I can do whatever I want
I can see whomever I choose
I can eat my dinner in a fancy restaurant
But nothing
I said nothing can take away these blues
..Cause nothing compares
Nothing compares to you

It's been so lonely without u here
Like a bird without a song
Nothing can stop these lonely tears from falling
Tell me baby where did I go wrong
I could put my arms around every boy I see
But they'd only remind me of you
I went to the doctor n'guess what he told me
Guess what he told me
He said girl u better try to have fun
No matter what u do
But he's a fool
..Cause nothing compares
Nothing compares to you

All the flowers that u planted, mama
In the back yard
All died when u went away
I know that living with u baby was sometimes hard
But I'm willing to give it another try
Nothing compares
Nothing compares to you
Nothing compares
Nothing compares to you
Nothing compares
Nothing compares to you

6 comments:

  1. LOVE that song! I totally know the lyrics because I still listen to it on my many rode trips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it the best song ever! I shave my head sometimes and pretend like I'm Sinead, I think bad thoughts about the Pope to help me get into character. I found the most effective exercise is to put on a black turtle neck and sing along to this song with my angry face. Oddly, it makes me feel happy when I do that :)!

    jk, I really do love that song, it has a very nostalgic quality. It's the bomb dot com!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Himbo does it count if I wear a turtle neck, but shave my box while singing in the mirror?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait... Bon Don, why you front'n? You don't have hair on your box - Indians ("woowoowooowooowoo" Indians, not "Denk you, come again" Indians) don't grow hair anywhere but their heads. Girl, don't tell me you shave your vajayjay just for kicks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Next time I am driving from GA to somewhere west I am totally going to shave my head and my box and where only a turtle neck while singing the glorious "nothing compares to you" and think of both of you and how I would L O V E to be drinking wine and eating cheese with you both!

    ReplyDelete
  6. southern bald: shave your head and box and we'll just call you Southern Bald

    do they sell turtle necks for fat knees?

    ReplyDelete

Add to Technorati Favorites